Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Perspective

I married my best friend 48 hours ago. The after-wedding reality is a bit more to deal with than I had anticipated. I'm not ready to talk about a lot of things, thus the blogging hiatus. However, I did want to put up a post today about perspective and the wedding day before the long break. I don't want to let slide the important lesson I'm being forced to learn.

Big Spoon was incredible this weekend. He was supportive, grounding, calming and helped me gain perspective when I lost mine. And I'm ashamed to say, I lost it a lot. He reminded me again this morning that despite everything, we're married now. We have the rest of our lives to look forward to and dwelling on one day isn't healthy for me or for us.

In the receiving line, my 80-year-old grandfather - with tears in his eyes - took us both by the hand and said "Always love one another and you'll have a long life. I know we have." Papa and Granny were married 62 years ago on December 11, 1948 when they were both 18 years old. Granny's aunt and uncle drove them to Franklin, KY and they married at the court house.

They don't have a single picture of their wedding day.

They don't have an invitation to frame, a dress to preserve or wedding keepsake to pass down. She probably didn't have any flowers. It didn't matter to them that they married at the court house nor do they really remember why they chose that. But 62 years later, they are still in love, still healthy and strong, and so very wise.

I got to spend one of the most important days of my life with my parents, parents-in-law, grandparents, siblings and their spouses as well as both our extended family and friends in a beautiful dress at a beautiful home beside my handsome husband.

If Big Spoon and I are married 62 years, I'll be the luckiest woman on earth. And nothing else matters.

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Spoon. Your Grandparents are a treasure and a gift. What great advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! It was such a pleasure assisting with your big day. We got some great pictures of your food, flowers, and cake!
    Rita :)

    ReplyDelete